I may not be a Supermum to most, but to my monsters I am, that's all that matters, right?

Friday 3 March 2017

MOTHERS INTUITION | SUPERMUM AND HER MONSTERS

Psychologist Dr Judith Orloff says "it is a 6th sense that mothers have that a child may be in danger or need".

I recently had a situation where as a mother I was questioning things; behaviours and reactions that didn't seem to be consistent with my child's personality. We tend to look for answers that aren't in our back yard like "oh it's just the end of year, everyone goes silly at Christmas time" or "hmm maybe it's hormones? The body changing". I tried to shake it off, I really did. But my stomach and mind would not calm, no matter what rationalities I came up with inside my head.

The saying "a mother does better research than the FBI" is so accurate.

So I put my cap on and channeled into my inner Sherlock Holmes. I didn't have to look to far or deep to find the cause. It heartbreakingly became evident, with what I found, as to the whole reason for the change of behaviour. It all clicked and made sense. The "evidence" I found was "stored" on that very day that I went on my investigation. Was it uncanny or mothers intuition that the very day my heart felt so heavy was the same day that my child's heart was breaking? My mothers intuition had served me and my family well once yet again.

It was a bitter sweet moment of knowing that I was right, that there was something more going on....then sudden realisation hit me. I felt like I had failed my child. Why had they not come to me? Was I not approachable? Were they scared? Was I too consumed by my own health and worries? Was I too busy? Here I was sitting there questioning myself when I wasn't even asking the right questions. This wasn't about me, about my pride about me as a mother. The real question was "What does my child now need me to do?". With this in mind I researched, I contacted people and was able to get the help that my child and I needed.

So please never question that gut feeling that something is off. You never know when you may need to wear your cape and become the Supermum that your child needs.

An interesting read;
6 things to know about mothers intuition" https://www.pgeveryday.com/family/parenting/article/6-things-to-know-about-mothers-intuition


No comments:

Post a Comment